Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Fire

When I was young my dad was great about making sure our family was prepared for emergencies.  Each year he would get out a big blue bin and open the teeth like lid to reveal several colorful backpacks.  Each back pack had the name of a kid on it and contained cloths, shoes, socks, and other temporary survival supplies need for a 72 hour kit.  We would try on the sweats and shoes and make the necessary hand-me-downs to ensure everyone was up to date and prepared for whatever could summon the use of these kits.  I loved the smell of the new shoes that I never got to wear (a good thing) and we were always prepared and thankfully we never had to use those old kits.  

As part of the usually routine my father would include a discussion of what to expect and do in case of different types of emergencies.  We had a plan to meet at a specific tree across the street in case of a fire.  We talked about what things we would grab of importance and what we should not bring.  We talked about it all.

What my father didn't realize is that his preparedness and planning would awaken in daughter number five--Me.

I was in elementary school when my dad decided to have us a watch a movie called, "Plan To Get Out Alive" for Family Home Evening.  He wanted to help us understand that what he was trying to teach us was very important so he emphasized how seriously we should take watching the video.  By the end of the movie I was bawling and frightened.  I took it seriously...TOO seriously.

My mom took advantage of my new fear.  "That's a fire hazard."  All she had to do is mention fire and whatever mess she was mentioning would be cleaned up, washed, transported, or  put away without another word muttered.  I think she has even admitted to me how much she loved to take advantage of that motivational nudge. 


Each night when I would go to bed I would say my prayers and ask Heavenly Father to protect me and my family from my house burning down.  I would lay in bed and think about what I would save and how I could help my family get out alive.  I played through different scenarios to ensure that I was prepared for different situations that could occur.  This went on for years.  I think by the end of high school I started to mellow out but even into college I would find myself thinking about my "Plan To Get Out Alive".  I'm pretty sure that me and my last set of roommies had our own little plan and (of course) my prepared father bought me a ladder to throw over my window just in case I was to need it.  (I still have the ladder...but just a one level home.  I'm sure it will come in handy.)


Anyway, I've chilled out on the fire thing a lot in the last decade but I find myself haunted by old feelings tonight.  I'm restless and can't stop thinking of my lack of preparedness.  "Didn't I learn anything from my dad?"  What could have stirred these old worried feelings up after so many years?   You guessed it, the wild forest fires!  


Jaret has been commuting to Ennis for work each day and has had to drive through a canyon to get there.  I don't even know what the canyon is called and am a little embarrassed to admit it but it's the one that the Maddison River flows through.  This is the river where you can throw your tube, blow-up mattress, raft, or boat into the water and enjoy a nice long float under the sun.  The view that we would often enjoy drifting along has turned from beautiful green bush and brush to black ash and soot.  Jaret took some video of it on his drive home yesterday.




The kids and I went with Jaret to Ennis to spend time with a friend while he worked.  As we drove by I was so relieved to see that the two houses that were sandwiched between the rage had been saved.  I was surprised at the rush of emotion I felt when I saw the perfect lines drawn; one side ash and the other green grass.  I was so happy for those family's.  As we drove on I noticed that the fire was still spreading but it seemed to be considerably slowed compared to the videos Jaret took. 

The winds were unusually gusty and strong today and we weren't surprised when we found the road closed and we weren't allowed to take our usual route home through Norris Road. I guess the fire jumped the river and road and set out on a new course of destruction.  We had to drive around it through Three Forks.  I was surprised to see the whole Bozeman valley filled with smoke as we neared our home.  The smoke is so much closer and not being able to actually see where the flames are has cause a pit in my stomach to start to develop.  There are those feelings.  Our subdivision is sort of on the end of that forest and rolling hills but it's probably twenty or thirty miles from the flames.  I found myself thinking of what we would do if for some unlikely reason we were ordered to evacuate our home.  I was disappointed and a little panicked to think that we have never made a plan, we don't have 72 hour kits, and we don't have all of our important documents and pictures together and easy to access.  We have some random emergency preparedness stuff around our house but it's of no use to a woman running around frantically trying to think and act.  (Even if I wasn't actually running around like a chicken with my head cut off I would feel like it inside).  

Anyway, I made the additional mistake of reading about all of the fires and evacuations in Colorado and Utah.  It's very unsettling and therefore I am typing at 1:30 in the morning rather then tossing and turning in my bed.  I've been in a sort of worried mood the last few days for some reason anyway.  This fire thing is not in good timing for my mood.  

Anyway, I try to tell myself to take heart and remember to trust God in these circumstances but sometimes I just can't help myself and I let myself worry myself to near insanity.  

I will most likely do some gathering tomorrow morning and keep my eye on the smoke just over the hill.    Whew.  I guess the child in me can't be completely left behind.  

Now, for anyone out there who is worrying about me worrying- No worries.  I think that everything will be fine in the long run.  I would be sad to lose my house (I don't actually think it will happen) but it's times like these when I really am just grateful to have my family.  I'm also grateful I have a loving Heavenly Father to turn to for comfort.  So, after I'm done blogging I will go and say a nice prayer and look forward to the peace that always seems to come with it.  

No comments: